The X-Files Breaks Worldwide Ratings Records!
The X-Files Breaks Worldwide Ratings Records!
FOX PREMIERE OF THE X-FILES BREAKS WORLDWIDE RATINGS RECORDS WITH MORE THAN 50 MILLION VIEWERS IN FIRST THREE DAYS
With Global Day & Date Roll-Out on Fox in the U.S. and
Fox Channels in 80 Countries, Two-Night Special Event Becomes One of the Most Successful Series Premieres on Television
All-New Episode Airs Tonight on FOX at 8:00pm ET/PT
The latest mind-bending chapter of THE X-FILES captured the attention of tens of millions of viewers around the world with its record-setting, two-night return to FOX last week. Premiering within 24 hours on FOX in the U.S. and 80 countries internationally, Chris Carter’s iconic series delivered more than 50 million viewers, and set new ratings records in multiple markets.
At time of issue, U.S. performance data included national L+3 data, while international data was limited to the available L+SD data from 20 measured markets. This means ratings will continue to increase as time-shifted viewing rolls up to +7 viewing around the world.
- Across 6 measured FOX channel markets in Latin America, the first 2 episodes’ average outperformed the FY16 prime-time benchmark by 68%, and matched or surpassed the season six premiere of ratings’ juggernaut THE WALKING DEAD in several countries including Argentina (+4%), Chile (+87%), Colombia (+23%) and Mexico (+9%) in the A18-49HM demo.
- In the same 6 markets, the live premiere reached more than 1.6 Million Total Viewers, with an average audience of almost 1 Million viewers.
- In Argentina, THE X-FILES broke a 3-year national record in the A18-49HM* demo, delivering a 3.71 rating during the opening episode and ranking #1 amongst A18-49HM* during both episodes.
- Across 11 European FOX markets, the episode 1 live premiere of THE X-FILES was seen by over 2.5 million Total Viewers, with an average audience of 1.7 million viewers.
- In the same markets, the average of the first 2 episodes outperformed the European FY15 prime-time benchmark by four-fold.
- New rating records were set across FOX channels in Europe, including FOX Finland (ep.1), FOX Serbia (ep.1) and FOX Poland (ep.2), where the show appeared as the most watched episode ever on the FOX channel. In Italy and The Netherlands, THE X-FILES ranked as one of the most successful premieres in FOX history.
- In Canada THE X-FILES debuted as the most watched series premiere of the 2015-2016 season with 2.4 million viewers on Sunday January 24th. Episode 1 delivered the largest audience of any episodes of THE X-FILES on record in Canada.
- The premiere delivered an impressive 20.3 million Total Viewers (Live+3), a 25% increase in Total Viewers vs Live+SD (16.2 million viewers) and surpassing the original series’ most-watched season (19.8 mil average in Season 5)
- THE X-FILES’ Sunday premiere drew an average audience of 1.1 million in three days of streaming on Hulu and FOXNOW – bringing the show’s Live 3 multi-platform premiere audience to 21.4 million.
- The premiere had a strong 7.8 rating with A18-49 – growing by +27% vs Live+SD (6.2), and marking television’s third-highest premiere this season in L3, behind only THE WALKING DEAD and EMPIRE, and this season’s #1 series debut overall.
- THE X-FILES’ Monday premiere ranks among the top 10 broadcast and cable premieres overall this season in Adults 18-49, Men 18-49 and Adults 25-54.
- To date, THE X-FILES two premiere episodes have garnered an additional audience of more than 3 million from streaming on Hulu and FOX NOW.
FOX has long been the world’s most widely distributed premiere entertainment destination, known for groundbreaking, trend setting and critically acclaimed programming beloved by audiences in the U.S. and abroad. The day & date TV launch model is a staple of the FOX programming and marketing strategy for its viral, high-profile series. FOX is available as a linear channel and non-linear offering in over 340 million homes across the U.S. and virtually all international TV markets.
Internationally, THE X-FILES premiered as part of a two-night special or a double-bill across all licensed territories within the international FOX portfolio, including markets such as Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, Argentina in Latin America; Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia in South East Asia; Bulgaria, Finland, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain and Turkey in Europe and pan-regionally in sub-Saharan Africa.
Upcoming premieres in the UK, Germany, France, Australia and India are expected to add millions more viewers above the running worldwide total.
* Note: “HM” in demographics = High/Medium income.