Fox Writers Intensive (FWI)
- WHAT IS THE FOX WRITERS INTENSIVE?
The Fox Writers Intensive ("FWI") is a highly selective writer's initiative, held at the Fox Studios in Los Angeles, CA, from February 2013 through May 2013.
The Intensive is designed to introduce experienced writers with unique voices, backgrounds, life and professional experiences that reflect the diverse perspectives of
the audiences Fox creates for to a wide range of Fox showrunners, writers, directors, screenwriters and creative executives. These collective individuals will work
with the selected writers in a series of master classes to build on both their general craft and further their skillsets in the business of writing for television,
feature films and digital content. Please note that while employment cannot be guaranteed, every aspect of the initiative is designed with a goal -- to provide the
accepted finalists with intensive creative and professional development, exposure and opportunity that would best equip him or her to succeed at Fox.
- HOW DOES FWI WORK?
FWI Finalists will be engaged in interactive master class sessions with established writers, showrunners and directors to discuss case studies of their films and/or
television series, gain an insider view of their career trajectory, as well as an analysis of their writing processes. These interactive sessions will endeavor to create
a rigorous and engaging opportunity for each finalist to hone their craft through the development of their submitted original script and the creation of a new script as
a writing sample. FWI will also include seminars and workshops with Film Independent, during which finalists will have the opportunity to receive expert and detailed
feedback on their submitted original television or feature script, as well as pointed guidance on how to best engage and continue to thrive as an experienced, multi-platform
writer in the merging creative landscape of the entertainment and media business.
- WHO CAN APPLY? FWI is for trained writers and/or previously staffed, produced or published writers who have a strong command of their craft and who are
deeply committed to pursuing that craft as a profession. The goal of FWI is distinctive in equal parts to create an optimal resource for both experienced writers with
diverse perspectives that will be reflective of our broad and diverse audiences and the cross divisional Fox creative executives who endeavor to continue to develop and
distribute quality entertainment.
FWI is open solely to referred writers, as described below, with professional writing experience in film and/or television,
as well as theater and other literary mediums, having an interest in expanding their professional opportunities to include broadcast, film or new media.
- HOW TO APPLY: FWI is by nomination only. Fox has identified a select number of organizations which have a history of fostering strong emerging and
developed talent from diverse backgrounds. These organizations, as well as agencies and management companies, have been invited to nominate up to five (5) writers
affiliated with their organization, or respective agency/management company, who are representative of the criteria required by FWI and who they believe will most benefit
from participation in the initiative. All nominees will be contacted by FWI and provided with a secure login and password to receive submission details and to apply to
- APPLICATION PROCESS:
To apply to FWI, nominated writers must complete the online application, which includes:
Documentaries and short films are not eligible to apply.
- One (1) page biography detailing your background, unique voice, experience as a trained writer, and specific interest in Fox, the Fox Writers Intensive,
and why you feel you are qualified for the initiative.
- One (1) original unencumbered feature-length narrative script or one (1) original unencumbered pilot script (1/2 hour or 1 hour multi-camera or single
camera drama, comedy, or dramedy). You may not apply with both.
- A Fox Submission Release and Letter Agreement, which must be signed and notarized for the submitted script.
- Logline and synopsis for the submitted screenplay.
- Project status and history for the script, if applicable.
Other eligibility requirements:
- Applicants must be eighteen (18) years of age at time of application.
- Applicants must verify their legal right to work in the United States (if eventually staffed on a project).
- Employees, board members, directors, shareholders, officers, founders and owners, or immediate family members (spouse, parent, sibling or child)
or household members of Film Independent, Inc., any of the nominating organizations listed above, any entities involved in the nomination and/or referral
processes are not eligible. FWI reserves the right to remove from FWI any person it determines, in its sole discretion, is connected with FWI or any of the
entities described herein such that such person's participation in FWI could create the appearance of impropriety.
- WHEN IS THE DEADLINE TO APPLY TO FWI? The deadline to apply for the Fox Writers Intensive is November 19, 2012.
- WHO ARE THE NOMINATING ORGANIZATIONS FOR FWI?
The nominating organizations* include, but are not limited to, the following:
- The Adrienne Shelly Foundation
- Alliance for Inclusion in the Arts
- Coalition of Asian Pacifics in Entertainment (CAPE)
- East West Players
- Film Independent
- Guy Hanks & Marvin Miller Screenwriting Program
- HOLA Film Festival
- LA Skins Fest
- Media Access Awards
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
- National Association of Latino Independent Producers (NALIP)
- National Hispanic Foundation of the Arts
- National Hispanic Media Coalition (NHMC)
- New York Foundation for the Arts
- Organization of Black Screenwriters (OBS)
- Sundance Native American and Indigenous Program
- Sundance Institute
- Visual Communications
- Women and Hollywood
- Women In Film Los Angeles
- Writers Boot Camp
*Additional organizations may be added so please check back for periodic updates.
If you are a writer who is affiliated with at least one (1) of these organizations, or represented by a literary agency or management company,
and would like to be nominated for FWI, please contact the respective organization, or your representation, directly. Unsolicited applications to
FWI will not be considered.
- WHAT IS THE CRITERIA AND SELECTION PROCESS?
In considering candidates for FWI, FOX Audience Strategy and Film Independent will evaluate candidates based on the collective following:
- Strength of submitted script, as determined by a blind review process employing professional readers.
- Submission of the electronic application.
- Strength of overall application and biography (as described above).
- Strength of recorded interview to be distributed to the FWI jury panel made up of experienced writers, producers and cross-divisional Fox creative
- A maximum of ten (10) FWI finalists will be selected and announced.
- FWI OPPORTUNITIES:
- One (1) FWI finalist will be named the 2013 FWI Fellow. The FWI Fellow will be awarded the following:
(i) a purchase and development deal from Fox Broadcasting Company on their original script; (ii) an announcement across all Fox entertainment businesses and
through entertainment trade publications; (iii) one on one creative meetings with network and other Fox entertainment business heads, as well as senior
cross-divisional current and development executives; and (iv) priority staffing efforts across Fox entertainment properties.
- One (1) FWI finalist will be selected to apply for the Fox Writers Studio, a division of 20th Century Fox Film, on a first-look basis. The Fox Writers Studio is a yearlong think tank of screenwriters working together, on salary, to produce original feature films for 20th Century Fox.
- One (1) FWI finalist will be selected to pitch their original script to the News Corporation Publishing Company, HarperCollins.
- All FWI finalists will receive staffing meetings for current Fox entertainment series and a first look agreement to option their original and new script.
- All FWI finalists will be announced as the "Fox 10 to Read" to entertainment trade publications, agencies, management companies, and across all Fox
- FWI FELLOW SELECTION PROCESS:
- The FWI Fellow will be selected by a FWI steering committee comprised of senior Fox entertainment executives and will be based on each FWI finalists
level of participation in the overall initiative, strength of development of the original submission and an in person pitch meeting with the FWI steering committee.
- Should the FWI Fellow be referred to the initiative by a 501(c)(3) organization ("Referring Organization"), excluding Film Independent, then such
Referring Organization will receive from FOX Audience Strategy a financial grant to be earmarked for their respective writing program(s)
which nurture diverse voices and perspectives ("Financial Grant"). If the FWI Fellow is referred by a non-charitable 501(c)(3) organization, the FWI Fellow
will select one (1) of the above-referenced Referring Organizations as the recipient of the Financial Grant.
- WHAT IS THE TIME COMMITMENT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIATIVE? FWI has been designed to take place two (2) weekday evenings each week,
from February 2013 through May 2013 in Los Angeles, CA.
- WHAT DOES IT COST TO PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIATIVE? There are no costs to participate in any aspect of FWI.
- IS THE FOX WRITERS INTENSIVE A PAID PROGRAM? FWI is not a paid program. The curriculum has been designed to accommodate general work schedules and
takes place two (2) weekday evenings each week, from February 2013 through May 2013 in Los Angeles, CA to accommodate working participants (all travel and housing
are the responsibility of the participant).
- I AM A BEGINNING WRITER, CAN I APPLY? FWI is designed for experienced writers, as described above. Experienced writers are encouraged to become a
member of one (1) of our listed organizations, although all applicants are welcome to apply.
For more informtaion, please e-mail Chris.Bythewood@fox.com